Teacher Certification Information

Maintaining Your Certification
Effective July 1, 2016, all holders of teaching certificates, teaching assistance certificates, and educational leadership certificates which are valid for life (Permanent, Professional and Teaching Assistant Level III) will be required to register with the Department every five years.

A Certificate holder must update their address or submit a name change within 30 days of such change.

To begin log into your NYS TEACH account

1. Choose "TEACH Online" under services
2. Click "Update/Add Education, Employment, and Personal Information"
3. Click “Edit Personal Info”

Click the “Request Name Change” button
You must submit a copy of your driver’s license, documentation that supports your request (i.e. a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree etc.) and an explanation of the request.

4. E-mail documents to: tcert@nysed.gov
5. Fax documents to: (518) 473-0271
6. Mail the documents to:
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Ave, EB RM 5N,
Albany, NY 12234