Director of School Facilities and Operations
Phone: (516) 390-3105
Fax: (516) 489-1776
Phone: (516) 390-3105
If you have any questions or concerns regarding district schools and/or facilities, please contact the Facilities Department at the number listed above.
Playground Pesticide Application
On May 18, 2011, New York State Education Law, Section 409-k takes effect. According to this new regulation, no school (public, private, or parochial) shall apply pesticide to any playgrounds, turf, or athletic field. Exceptions can be made for emergency applications as determined by the County Health Department, New York State Commissioner of Health, New York State Commissioner of Environmental Conservation, or in the case of a public school, the school board. In addition, please remember that the Nassau County Fertilizer Law (Nassau County Local Law 11-2009) bans the application of fertilizers between the months of November 15th through April 1 st. This law, which seeks to reduce the amount of nitrogen released into the environment, became effective in September of 2009.
Use of Facilities Application and Permit
Please fill out all information requested on the Use of Facilities Application and Permit Form and email your permit to email@example.com, or fax it to 516-489-1776. All permits need to be submitted to our office by the first Monday of every month in order to get on the Board of Education Report for that month. Anything that is submitted later will get on the Board of Education Report on the following month.
After your registration is completed you must submit to my office the following information prior to your application getting approved:
Your organization must submit to my office a roster of the participant’s names and addresses with your organizations name on top and the current date. (1) at least 80% of the members shall be residents of the West Hempstead Union Free School District; and (2) its principal place of business must be located within the geographic area covered by the West Hempstead Union Free District.
Any sports related organization using West Hempstead UFSD facilities must also include a list of all scheduled games and meets that occur on fields or in buildings.
Your Certificate of Insurance must be renewed and on file in my office prior to your use of the building
As per the regulations governing Use of School Facilities, “No sub-contracting, assigning, leasing, renting, chartering, etc., of any space, field, or portion of any facility, etc. to any third party is permitted. The permit is for the use of the organization named herin only. No assignment or sub-lease is authorized under any circumstances.”
For your information, please check your school calendar, or our West Hempstead website for a listing of the dates that the Schools/Gyms at the West Hempstead School District will be closed or used by the school district in 2013-2014. Please use this calendar to schedule your activities during the year.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact the facilities office at 516-390-3105.
REGULATIONS GOVERNING USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
1. The use of buildings and grounds is subject to the provisions of Section 414 of the New York State Education Law. The Board of Education has the authority to regulate the dates and hours that buildings may be used. School activities take precedence in the use of school buildings and the Board and Administration reserve the right to cancel any reservations.
2. Organizations eligible to use the District’s fields and facilities shall meet the following requirements: (1) at least 80% of the members shall be residents of the West Hempstead Union Free School District; and (2) its principal place of business must be located within the geographic area covered by the West Hempstead Union Free District. Rosters, including all addresses, must be made available upon request of the school district. Upon request of the school district, residency documents may need to be provided. Failure to do so may result in the revoking of any permit. The PTA, PTSA and SEPTA, which have Administrators, Faculty and Professional Staff as members, are exempt from the 80% rule.
3. Organizations receiving permission to use the school buildings must be responsible for the conduct of participants and spectators attending functions.
4. The sponsor or applicant must provide insurance coverage as specified by the District. The applicant must assume personal responsibility promptly for any loss or damage that may occur. The sponsor or applicant must be present at all times as long as the group or any part of it are in or on the premises. Approved permit holders’ insurance must cover all groups utilizing West Hempstead Union Free School District’s fields/facilities under the permit terms as granted. Under no circumstances may a permit holder extend their field / facility approval to another group who is not covered under the permit holder’s own insurance.
5. No admission fees or collections of any type whatsoever are permitted unless specifically authorized by the Board of Education.
6. Any additional expenses that may accrue as a result of the use of the facilities must be assumed by the sponsor and his organization. When kitchen facilities are used, a cafeteria employee MUST be present. An additional charge for these services will be made on an hourly basis. Bills will be rendered by the School and are payable to the School District Treasurer. Pending receipt of payment, further application must be reviewed by the Board of Education. If a permit is approved for the outside concession stand at the High School, the stand must be opened and closed by district personnel. Should such district personnel need to be on duty just to perform this function, an additional charge will be levied upon the group / organization using the concession stand.
7. People attending any function are restricted in the use of the building to areas specifically designated in the application.
8. No food or drink is permitted outside of the cafeteria except as specifically approved in the application. This includes food or drink brought in by participants and/or spectators.
9. Putting up decorations or scenery or moving equipment is prohibited unless special permission has been granted.
10. No one shall participate in athletics on the gymnasium floor unless, (s)he has on regulation gym shoes.
11. The area and/or building used must be left clean and orderly, and all social functions attended by minors must be adequately chaperoned. Under no circumstances are groups permitted to utilize district facilities for storage purposes. The District, in its sole discretion, may permit groups to store equipment on District property. Groups shall insure the equipment and storage containers, naming the District as an additional insured. In addition, groups shall execute a release and hold harmless agreement in favor of the District with respect to the storage containers and equipment.
12. The Board of Education and its representatives must have free access to the area at all times.
13. No sub-contracting, assigning, leasing, renting, chartering, etc., of any space, field, or portion of any facility, etc., to any third party is permitted. The permit is for the use of the organization named herein only. No assignment or sub-lease is authorized under any circumstances.
14. The Board of Education reserves the right to revoke a permit at any time, for any reason. Permits will be revoked if a group does not comply with any of the regulations contained herein.
15. All users must provide the following insurance prior to using facilities. FAILURE TO DO SO PRIOR TO USE WILL RESULT IN REVOCATION OF YOUR PAYMENT:
a. The user hereby agrees to effectuate the naming of the District as an unrestricted additional insured on the user’s policy.
b. The policy naming the District as an additional insured shall:
i. be an insurance policy from an A.M. Best rated “secured” New York State licensed insurer
ii. contain a 30-day notice of cancellation
iii. state that the organization’s coverage shall be primary coverage for the District, its Board, employees, and volunteers
c. The user agrees to indemnify the District for an applicable deductibles
d. Required Insurance:
i. Commercial General Liability Insurance
ii. $1,000,000 per occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate
e. User acknowledges that failure to obtain such insurance on behalf of the District constitutes a material breach of contract and subjects it to liability for damages, indemnification and all other legal remedies available to the District. The user is to provide the District with an original certification of insurance, not a copy, evidencing the above requirements have been met. The failure of the District to object to the contents of the certificate or absence of same shall not be deemed a waiver of any kind and all rights held by the District.